Monday, January 21, 2008

Happy MLK Day

"Now is the time to make justice a reality for all God's children."
-Martin Luther King, Jr
Address at March on Washington August 1963

We're still working on it.

Today was the first day of the Ut*h Legislative Session. It only lasts 45 days but only people that don't live and breath for those 45 would say it only lasts 45 days. It's plenty long for this old girl. :) 45 days of anxiety, hope, headaches, hunger, pride, etc. I love every minute of it.

As I said before, we've decided to change the laws around here. Our adoption laws suck and I blame every inch of them - as well as a few others - for taking my daughter away. I am passionate about it. I would give anything to be able to tell Gracie that even though I lost her when she was only 5, eventually all children were safe from the kind of hurt that happened to her. I didn't sit still. I kept fighting.

We're looking for letters from people that support the bill. -local people who think that every child should be given the rights and security that comes from having two parents. When writing my own, I decided to demand Cristy to move us away. I go through this every few months. And it's not because I don't want to live here. I love it here. I love the seasons, my family, my city, my Mayor, my many fellow lesbian families :) but I need new laws! A girl needs some heavy muscles for protection after a year like last year.

She'll say yes. Then I'll say no. :) That's how it always goes. Because I don't really want to leave. I really want to stay here and raise a family with my favorite girl in our favorite house with our favorite dog. And while we're at it, I want to 'make justice a reality for all of God's children' - then I'll never have to make empty threats again.