Monday, January 28, 2008

President Hinckley 1910-2008

You had to know I would blog about this.

Last night, I was quietly watching Extr*me Home Mak*over when the news chimed in to tell me that "the prophet of the Morm*n church died at 7pm." I realized that at 7pm, I was sitting in the very room he was born. Maybe he even stopped by on his way...up.

Now I'm not a Morm*n but I definitely have respect for any man that serves human kind the way he did. Plus, I believe he was married to his wife for 67 years and nothing impresses me more than that. She died a few years back and that was the first thing I thought of when I heard the news of his passing - that he would join her.

If you've been reading here a while, you know that I live in the home where he was born. Our house was born in 1896. He was born 14 years later. And I found out earlier today that his wife was born in the home across the street. Crazy!

We've had news media hanging around here all afternoon. One report showed a reporter asking a neighbor how long our home had been purple. - longer than we've been here, I assure you. He came through our house a few years ago and they recorded him walking from room to room telling stories.

Yeager thinks it's kind of cool that he lived here. He cheered extra loud at a parade last summer. I think there are other's in Cristy's family who think of us living here as sinful. It's kind of strange that it went from Mormon to Jewish to So Very Gay. Full circle, right? Kidding.

So, 97 years later, he left his religion about a zillion people bigger than before he started. And while we haven't benefited from the religion, at least we got the house, right? God bless Pres Hinckley & God bless the Hinckley Plantation.

I think I want a copy of that video. You know, just to have.