Monday, June 11, 2007

Party Planner

I remembered a story this afternoon that I'm almost ashamed of. Almost.

I thought of it because we are getting ready to send out a big invite to our housewarming party and how in the world do you choose who to invite? Seriously! We don't have a big house. Nor do we have the resources to cater for our fabulous friends. And, in case you hadn't heard, the gays love parties! But the gays have also all loved each other before so you have to deal with exes and ex friends and ex roommates, etc. You have to deal with close friends vs 1/2 friends. People you know through community and people you'd like to know better. And if you invite one person in a particular office, must you invite them all? These things are complicated. If only it were as easy as my earlier party planning days...

I was never able to invite more than 5 or 6 kids to my birthday parties. And even then, it seemed they were children of my parents friends and not the kids I would've invited myself so...
I created a solution! I told all my friends in my 1st grade class that my birthday party was at my house on a certain day that I knew my mom wouldn't be home (& nowhere near my real birthday). One by one they were dropped off in the driveway and their parents drove away. It was perfect! All my best (at the moment) friends - presents in hand! I got all sorts of fun things and even had chips and soda for my guests! ...but wouldn't you know it? My mom came home early and blew the whole damn thing! I was busted and all the presents got sent home with all the kids who knew I was a big, fat, NOT seven year old.