Thursday, April 19, 2007

Keep the Handprints

Last night I met some girls for dinner at Johnny Corrino's. Ever been? It reminds me (imagine that!) of Gracie because it was one of the only restaurants near their house in San Antonio that was any good. We went there many times but one time, in particular, was my favorite. New Year's Eve. Her mother and I ordered glasses of wine and they were called "grandiose" (very large) and I ended up totally tipsy. Because we had to stay there for hours to sober up, Gray made friends with every server and every patron. She's typically very shy but this night she was telling strangers how pretty they were. She commented on a ladies purse and her other mom dared her to go "see if it's made out of real cat". It wasn't. But Gray was curious enough to walk over and give a soft "mow" to see the reaction. God I miss her.

Last nights dinner was to collaborate a fundraiser for a local mom whose ex-partner has taken her daughter away. She's beginning the legal battle and needs some help. Sound familiar? Well, it seems to be happening more and more. It's like my ex gave all the bio moms permission to act in such an awful way. I don't understand it. And to add to it, she still thinks it's acceptable for her to participate in this community. She thinks she can be a militant dyke and use hetero laws to hurt each and every one of our kids. I'm angry and don't know what to do about it. I may just have to pay a visit and have some words. Those words will undoubtedly be drowning in tears but I'll do it.


Anyway I met them, without C. She's still out of town so it was just little old me. They were all lovely. They all seem very motivated to help her and I loved seeing that kind of support for her. The conversation became very personal and I'm certain my anxiety was oozing out my eyes But I want the questions. If you ask, it's because you want to know. & if you're out there trying to educate your friends about the situation, I want you to know everything.

We're going to find a way, Gina- not through cracks but by breaking the entire dam.

"We do not have to become heroes overnight. Just a step at a time, meeting each thing that comes up, seeing it not as dreadful as it appeared, but discovering we have the strength to stare it down."
--Eleanor Roosevelt